John Obi Mikel reveals what REALLY happened when he rejected Man United for Chelsea

John Obi Mikel reveals what REALLY happened when he rejected Man United for Chelsea






John Obi Mikel has lifted the lid on why he 
chose Chelsea over Manchester United 12 
years ago.
Sir Alex Ferguson 
thought he had won 
the race for the
 talented Nigerian's
 signature in 2006, 
and he was even pictured in a United shirt, 
only for him to join Jose Mourinho at 
Stamford Bridge instead.

And the 31-year-old has revealed that he
 made the move to the Blues in order to 
help some of his countrymen find a club.

Speaking to the Players' Tribune, he wrote:
 'I know what you’re thinking.
'So before I tell you my story, let’s just get
 that bit out of the way first. It’s been more 
than a decade and I still get asked this 
one thing about my time in England.

'"Hey, what happened to you signing for 
Manchester United? How come 
 you swapped for Chelsea at the last 
minute?" Every time.

'I’ll tell you what happened. I had all these 
people on both sides fighting over me. 
Agents, managers, strangers, guys
 handing me papers. I had Sir Alex 
Ferguson calling me on the phone on one 
side.

'And I had Roman Abramovich on the
other side, putting me up in London, 
hiding me somewhere where only a few 
people knew where I was. It was really 
confusing, and I was a kid, you know?



'After a while, someone from FIFA gave 
me a phone call. They said, “Listen, we
know you’re young and you have these two
clubs fighting over you. We can’t decide 
for you. You can only go where you want. 
You have to tell us.

'I thought about it for a long time. It was
 the biggest decision of my life.

'You know what made my mind up? 
Chelsea had signed three other players
 from Nigeria along with me. They were 
staying with me at the house in London to 
keep me company.

'These guys… their lives depended on the 
decision I was making. If I went to United, 
they were gone. If I went to Chelsea, they 
were going to have a career.

'No matter how long it lasted, that was 
important to me. Just to give them a 
chance, you know?

'I chose Chelsea, and four lives changed 
that day.'

Mikel signed for United from Lyn Oslo in 
April 2005, but the move was never 
finalised after he claimed that he had
been 'bullied' into the deal and wished to 
join Chelsea instead.

Chelsea agreed to pay a £12m 
compensation package to United to allow 
the move to go through.

Mikel spent over 10 years at Stamford 
Bridge before leaving in January 2017. He 
lifted two Premier League titles, three FA 
Cups and the Champions League in 2012.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.